got questions?

We've got answers to the common questions that people ask when they want to stay at the Village. If you don't see your answer here, we're just an email or phone call away!
Am I eligible for accommodation at Yarra House?

All students are eligible to apply for accommodation at Yarra House, including research assistants and full-time, part-time, undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Note: Students must be at least 18 years of ages to live at Yarra House.

Can I choose my roommate?

If you’d like to share a room with a friend, please specify this on your application form. Given our high demand, we can’t guarantee to fulfill all requests, but we’ll try our best to accommodate you.

The earlier you and your friend apply, the easier it is for us to assign you to the same apartment.

Are pets allowed?

No pets, including fish, may be kept in the Village. Additionally, residents are not permitted to bring animals into any building of the Village. This rule does not apply to the extent that it restricts the keeping of a guide or hearing dog.

Are priorities given to particular students?

Yarra House hosts a diverse range of residents from all over the world and across Australia, and we see this as a true strength of our community. To ensure fairness, we don’t give preference to any group over others. Therefore we encourage all applicants to submit the relevant forms as early as possible to avoid disappointment.

Can my partner live with me?

Spouses, partners, boyfriends or girlfriends can apply for accommodation at Yarra House, as long as they are tertiary students. If you would like to live together, you can request to be allocated to a twin share room. While we cannot guarantee that your request will be fulfilled, we’ll definitely try our hardest to accommodate you.

Do you provide a cleaning service?

All residents are responsible for keeping their rooms and apartments clean. A cleaning service can be organised for a fee. Please enquire at Reception.

Do you provide internet access?

Broadband connectivity is available in every bedroom at Yarra House. Internet packages can be purchased through our internet provider, Big Air.

The on campus library also offers shared computers and laptop connectivity where you can access the internet for free (this service is available to Melbourne Polytechnic students only).

How close is Yarra House to Melbourne Polytechnic and the CBD?

Yarra House is located inside the Melbourne Polytechnic Fairfield campus, just minutes from classrooms and recreational facilities.

Regular buses from Heidelberg Road will take you directly to the city in 15 minutes. A number of train stations are also located within a 10-15 minute walk from Yarra House.

How is Yarra House different to a college?

Yarra House offers an independent living experience with no religious affiliations, traditions or hierarchies. This means you have the freedom to do what you want, when you want (within reason of course)!

While we do offer an independent lifestyle, we ensure support is available 24 hours a day, along with a range of exciting events and activities to help you meet new people and learn new skills.

In short, we offer a fantastic balance between support and independence that you just won’t find anywhere else!

How long are your residential agreements?

Whether you want to stay for just one week or the full year, Yarra House offers a range of flexible contract lengths to suit your needs.

No Visa no pay policy

If you are a prospective international resident of Yarra House and you were not able to secure an offer at a tertiary institution or unable to secure a visa to study in Australia, your room reservation will be terminated without penalty.

To cancel your booking, please complete a Contract Termination Form. International resident contracts can only be cancelled prior to the Residential Agreement contract start date.

Is catering available?

The on campus cafeteria offers a range of fresh meals and takeaway options. Please contact us for more information.

We also offer two communal kitchens, so feel free to cook up a storm or throw together a quick meal at any time of day. If you need some tips, join one of our cooking classes!

There are also two BBQ areas located at Yarra House set in the landscaped gardens and are available for residents to use all year round.

If you’re in the mood to eat out, we’re just minutes from Fairfield’s array of shops and restaurants.

What if I have a car?

On-site parking is available for Yarra House residents in the student car park.

Yearly and half yearly permits

Yearly permits are available for $300.00; 6 months permits cost $150.00. These can be organized directly with Melbourne Polytechnic by applying and paying online on https://vpermit.com.au/nmit. Once an application has been submitted for a parking permit an email will be sent to your registered email address with payment details

Any parking enquiries can be directed to parking@nmit.edu.au or 03 9269 1656.

Casual parking permits

If you require a casual parking permit residents will need to register with CellOParkPay As You Go parking.

There are 3 ways you get register with CellOPark:

1)    Via the Website: To register online, head to the CellOPark registration page and fill in your details and payment method. You can register up to two vehicles:


2)    Via your Phone: You can also register by calling 1300 467 275 and following the prompts.

3)    Via the CelloPark App: This App is free to download.

make yarra house your student village

apply now